Safety Rules and Liability Waiver
- All riders must wear an ANSI or Snell-Approved helmet. Failure to wear secured helmet will result in expulsion. Other gear to consider: water bottles, cycling gloves, rearview mirror, extra tubes, patch kit, air pump (frame), tire irons, handlebar or seat bag, bike lock, sunscreen, personal first aid kit, rain gear, insect repellant.
- Riders are reminded to obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Do not attempt routes that are beyond your capabilities.
- Keep bicycle in good condition. Check for loose/worn parts regularly.
- Persons riding upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast and shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. Ride on the right-hand side of the road with traffic.
- Pass cyclists on the left side only.
- Signal all turns well in advance; keep both hands on the handlebars when executing a turn.
- No headphones are permitted during the ride.
- Wear bright colors for visibility. Avoid loose fitting clothing that might get caught in spokes or the chain.
- Ride defensively and in a predictable manner. Stay alert. Watch out for speeding drivers. Keep traffic flowing by helping drivers pass you in a safe manner.
- Before starting descents or long downgrades, make sure brakes, cables, tires and wheels are in good condition and load is secure.
- Use your water bottle to scare dogs that chase you.
- Because this is a family event to encourage health and fitness, no alcoholic beverages are allowed.
- Make sure water bottles are full of fresh water. Drink plenty of liquids to replenish lost body fluids. Juices will replace lost potassium.
- Do stretching exercises or knee bends before starting out to prevent muscle spasms.
Waiver of Liability
In consideration of the acceptance of my entry, I , the undersigned participant, for myself, my family members, heirs, administrators, personal representatives, successors and assigns hereby fully release, discharge and hold harmless the Bluegrass and Bagels planning committee and its assisting organizations, Jackson State Community College, Jackson and Madison County, any sponsors, owners and operators of motor vehicles and officers, directors, employees volunteers or lessors of any of the foregoing persons or entities from any and all liability, whether resulting from negligence of any aspect of the Bagels and Bluegrass Bicycle Century Tour, whether a pre-ride, post-ride activity or the ride itself. I also expressly covenant with the aforementioned persons and entities not to sue any such persons and entities for any such activity, including the negligence of any such persons or entities. I certify and represent by my application for entry that my physical condition is adequate to participate safely in the Bagels and Bluegrass Bicycle Century Tour and hereby acknowledge the above persons and entities have no obligation to provide medical care and have not undertaken the responsibility to do so. In the event that I receive medical care as a result of a medical emergency, I hereby consent to such care and fully release the person(s) providing such care from any and all liability, whether resulting from negligence or otherwise. I authorize and consent to, whether by videotape, film, newsprint, written advertisement, or otherwise, of any materials containing my name or picture and I release any sponsors and all persons acting under authority from any claims I might have due to initial or subsequent publication of any such materials or photographs. I hereby certify I have fully read and understand for foregoing release, waiver and covenant not to sue, and sign it voluntarily. I also agree to wear a helmet at all times during the ride.
*Every rider will sign this waiver at the registration table on the day of the event. No rider will be allowed to participate until the waiver has been signed.